What is Relationship Counselling
Relationship Counselling explained / Understanding Relationship Counselling
Growing up we are never told about how hard it is to have a contented and successful relationship. There is no subject called 'Relationships' at school and most of us learn how to be in a relationship by watching what happens in our families and what is portrayed on tv. This gap in our learning is particularly concerning when you consider that much of our happiness and mental health is directly tied to the success of our relationships.
Relationship counselling works on filling in these gaps. Here are some of the areas a relationship counsellor is likely to work on with you:-
- Communication - this is the absolute foundation of relationships.
- Current, past and recurring issues in your relationship. Why haven't you been able to address these on your own?
- Building awareness of what you currently do in your relationship and how that potentially sabotages your connection with each other.
- Help you to build a clear picture of what you want your relationship to look like and what you will need to work on or stop doing to get there.
- Uncover what each of you has brought from your past that is impacting your relationship today.
- Facilitate the healing of past wounds associated with the relationship i.e. affairs, abuse, neglect.
It might be helpful to read other people’s stories about their relationship counselling:
How do I find the best Relationship Counsellor for me?
Relationship counselling works best when you and your partner are working with a counsellor that not only specialises in relationship counselling, but is also someone who you are confident will understand the particular needs and issues in your relationship and your lives. Research has shown that the relationship between you and your counsellor is one of the most important elements for a successful outcome. How do you know if the relationship counsellor you find will be the best fit for you and your partner?
Select Counsellors provides a unique client counsellor matching service that makes sure you and your partner see the right counsellor for your relationship, first time. We have a pool of highly trained Sydney based counsellors and psychologists who are all specialists in the field of relationship counselling. We collect relevant information from you and your partner in a personalised assessment. This information is then analysed by our team of counsellors and psychologists and used to match you with the right relationship counsellor for you and your partner.
To book an assessment click here or call on 1300 123 680 to speak in person with a Select Counsellor.
Click on the links below to find out more information on relationships & relationship counselling:
The Helpful Guide